Names 2013 Lilly Endowment Community Scholar
An Oregon Davis Jr./Sr. High School student has been named as the recipient of a full-tuition, four-year scholarship as the Starke County Community Foundation 2013 Lilly Endowment Community Scholar.
Bailey Masterson will receive a full-tuition scholarship to the Indiana college of her choice and an $900 yearly stipend for required books and equipment.
Masterson is the daughter of Aimee Johnson. She plans to pursue a degree in psychology, and she has been involved in class government and is a long-time member of FFA and 4-H. A member of National Honor Society, Bailey is very involved in school, church, community and work activities.
Masterson was selected for the prestigious Lilly Endowment Community Scholarship from a field of twenty-one applicants by the Starke County Community Foundation Scholarship Committee.
During the selection process, the applications are scored on academic performance, volunteer and paid work, school activities and honors, as well as a series of essays. Of the twenty-one applicants, seven finalists were selected for a final interview. These finalists were asked to write an impromptu essay and had a personal interview with the Scholarship Committee. The Committee narrowed the field to one nominee and one alternate. These names were submitted to Independent Colleges of Indiana, Inc. (ICI) for the selection of the recipient.
ICI is a nonprofit corporation that represents thirty-one regionally-accredited, degree-granting, nonprofit, private colleges and universities in the state.
The scholarships are the result of a statewide Lilly Endowment initiative to help Hoosier students reach higher levels of education. Indiana ranks among the lowest states in the percentage of residents over the age of 25 with a bachelor’s degree. There were 142 scholarships awarded statewide.
The deadline has passed for many of the following scholarships. Please check back in June to see a list of summer scholarships that will be available.
- Altman Family Scholarship - NJ-SP seniors pursing a 2, 4 or trade school education.
- Brooklyn A. Boo Scholarship - Graduating from North Judson San Pierre High pursuing an education in the medical field.
- LaVergne M. Brown and Lois L. Spenner Educational Scholarship - Graduating from North Judson San Pierre High pursing a degree in the field of education.
- Helen and Ware Edgar Scholarship - Graduating senior from any public high school in Starke County Indiana who plans to pursue a career in journalism.
- Richard H. Gumz Agricultural Scholarship - Graduating from any Starke County HS enrolled at Purdue University in the study of agricultural or related field.
- Hamblin Scholarship In Honor Of Eleanor G. Hamblin - Graduating Knox High School students or those who have graduated from Knox High School within the previous five years or nontraditional students.
- Ed Hasnerl/WKVI Scholarship - Graduating high school senior and Starke County resident with an interest in the study of communications or media-related subjects.
- Nella Kersting Memorial Scholarship - Graduating from North Judson San Pierre High who plans to pursue a degree in the arts, but all students are encouraged to apply.
- Knox VFW Post 748 Men's Auxiliary Scholarship: Three $500 scholarships are awarded to one graduating student from each Knox, North Judson-San Pierre and Oregon Davis High Schools. You do not need to have family who are members of the Knox VFW Post 748.
- Clarence Lawrence Memorial Scholarship - Graduating seniors of North Judson San Pierre, Knox or Oregon-Davis High who plan to study Agriculture or a Business field.
- James and Carris Lucas Scholarship - Graduating seniors from Knox High School pursuing a degree in
- Ken Lucas Memorial Scholarship - Graduating seniors of North Judson San Pierre High. Preference to Math Ed. majors. 2nd preference for math related field studies.
- Physicians Hospital System Visionary Scholarship - A scholarship giving to one Starke County and one Marshall County graduating senior pursuing a degree in a health care related field.
- Runkle Family Scholarship - Knox High School graduates who have graduated from Knox High School within the previous 5 years or nontraditional students.
- Megan Elytha Jean Sahlhoff Music Scholarship - Graduating senior of North Judson San Pierre High pursing a career with a major or minor in music or related field.
- Dorothy Johnson Shei Scholarship - Graduating seniors of Knox High School.
- Winifred J. Simpkins/Spirit of Nursing Scholarship - Starke County residents and Indiana high school graduate enrolled in an Indiana accredited RN Nursing Program.
- Starke Memorial Hospital and Medical Staff Health Occupation/Medical Education Scholarship - Starke County resident pursuing a career in a health-related field.
- Steve L. Toth and Donna M. Toth Family Fund Scholarship - Graduating senior at Oregon Davis High School.
- Christine and David VanVactor Scholarship - Knox, Oregon-Davis High and non-traditional students. Preference given to those pursuing a degree in Construction Management or building trades.
- 1897 Charley Vorm Memorial Scholarship - Graduating seniors of North Judson San Pierre High attending Indiana State University.
- Forrest and Helen Whitson Scholarship - Ssophomore or higher students attending Purdue University in the School of Engineering, Agriculture or Consumer and Family Living (Family Sciences).
- Robert O. and Doris E. Winters Scholarship - Graduating seniors from Knox Community High School.
- Carl and Josephine Wozniak Scholarship Fund - Graduating seniors from Oregon Davis students who are
accepted into and plan to attend Purdue University.