A North Miami High School student has been named as the recipient of a full, four-year scholarship as the Miami County Community Foundation 2013 Lilly Endowment Community Scholar.
Vyvian Borse will receive full tuition to the Indiana college of her choice and an $900 yearly stipend for required books and equipment.
Vyvian is the daughter of Christopher and Deborah Borse. Vyvian plans to pursue a degree in anthropology with hopes to attend medical school. She is a two year president of the student council and is ranked as the top student in her senior class. She is also a four year member and co-captain of the volleyball team and has received many awards not only for her talents on the court, but also recognition for her academic performances as a student athlete. A member of the National Honor Society, Vyvian is also very involved in school, community and work activities.
This student was selected for the prestigious Lilly Endowment Community Scholarship from a field of twenty-one applicants by the Miami County Community Foundation Scholarship Committee.
For the selection process, the applications are ‘blinded’ meaning that the identities of the applicants are removed. The committee scores applicants on academic performance, volunteer and paid work, school activities and honors as well as essays. Of the twenty-one applicants, five finalists were selected for a final review. These finalists were asked to write an essay, make a presentation, and have a personal interview. The committee narrowed the field to one nominee as their recommendation. Finalists’ applications are submitted to Independent Colleges of Indiana, Inc. (ICI) for the final selection of the recipient.
ICI is a nonprofit corporation that represents thirty-one regionally accredited degree granting, nonprofit, private colleges and universities in the state.
The scholarships are the result of a statewide Lilly Endowment initiative to help Hoosier students reach higher levels of education. Indiana ranks among the lowest states in the percentage of residents over the age of 25 with a bachelor’s degree. There were 142 scholarships awarded statewide.
The remaining four finalists who were interviewed by the committee will be awarded a one time $1,000 scholarship from the Miami County Community Foundation. These exceptional students are Jean Donaldson and Tiffany Huffman, students at North Miami High School and Olivia Greer and James Gaddy who are both seniors at Peru High School.
The deadline has passed for many of the following scholarships. Please check back in June to see a list of summer scholarships that will be available.
- David W. Beall
Memorial Scholarship -Graduating Seniors of Maconaquah High planning to attend a college, university or trade school in Indiana. Must not be in the top 10% of the graduating class.
- Claude S. and Marie M. Berger
Foundation, Inc. Scholarship -
Graduating Seniors of North Miami or Tippecanoe Valley High School with a “B” average or above.
- Elaine Cultice Bright Memorial Scholarship - Female students who are residents of Miami County and graduates or past graduates of Peru High School. Lilly Endowment Community Scholars, 21st Century Scholars are not eligible to apply.
- The Class Of ’64 John McElheny Memorial Scholarship - Graduating senior of Maconaquah High pursuing a degree in Elementary or Secondary education.
- Marilyn Coppernoll Memorial Scholarship - Graduating seniors of Peru, Maconaquah or North Miami High Schools enrolled in the study of writing or publishing.
- James R. and Bette J. Davis Scholarship -
Graduating Senior at Peru High School. Based upon good citizenship, leadership, and extra-curricular activities.
- Amanda Drudge Memorial Scholarship -
Graduating from North Miami, Rochester, Tippecanoe Valley High Schools, home or private school students in the Fulton or Miami County pursuing a degree in Christian ministry, nursing, education or social services.
- LaVonne M. Eddy Nursing Scholarship - Residents of Miami County, who attended North Miami, Maconaquah, Peru, or Oak Hill High School at least 2 years prior to graduation pursuing a 4 year nursing degree at an accredited college or university.
- Eugene K. and Martha E. Fike
Memorial Scholarship - Graduates of Peru High School and likely to succeed in college in the curriculum or discipline of their choice.
- Tony Hare Photojournalism Scholarship - Graduating senior or have previously graduated from any Miami County High School or White County High School, studying photojournalism at any Indiana college, university or trade school.
- Ray E. and Marie Rupp Hoffman Memorial Scholarship - Seniors or past graduates from Maconaquah or Peru High School who are residents of Miami County and pursuing a degree in a technical or business field.
- Hoppes Memorial Fund - Maconaquah High School Seniors who participated on the Maconaquah speech team. Preference given to students who have received awards for their participation on the speech team and/or number of years they participated.
- Ryan McCarthy Holmes Scholarship - Graduating seniors of Peru High School. Participated in athletics at least 2 years. Preference to those pursuing a degree in education.
- Randy Hughes Memorial Scholarship - Awarded to the Valedictorian of North Miami High School.
- J & J Scholarship - Seniors graduating from any high school in Indiana. Home schooled students can apply. Special consideration given to those who received the J&J Character Award as recognition of good citizenship for 5th grade students at Blair Pointe School.
- Pat Keady Memorial Scholarship -
Graduating senior of Maconaquah High School, attending any Indiana college or university. Two scholarships will be given, one each to a male and female student who displays good athletic accomplishments.
- Leonora E. Kolb Scholarship -
Graduates of Peru High School and likely to succeed in college in the curriculum or discipline of their choice.
- Harrie and Marty Lanning Memorial Scholarship -
Resident of Howard or Miami County in Indiana who is graduating or graduated within the previous 5 years from any Howard or Miami County High School in Indiana.
- Robert M. Larrison – First
Farmers Bank & Trust Scholarship -
Current resident and graduating senior from any Grant, Howard or Miami County High School likely to succeed as college, university or trade school students. Student’s family income must be low to moderate as defined by Federal Regulation.
- Miami County Historical Society
Richardson Scholarship -
Miami County residents who are graduating high school seniors or non-traditional students accepted into a 2 or 4 year educational institution and enrolled in the study of history, museum studies, or non-profit administration with a history-related goal.
- Celia Miller Scholarship -
Graduating seniors of Peru High school pursuing a degree in the field of education, except music education.
- Alice Moon Scholarship -
Graduating seniors of Peru High school who has a B or higher GPA and shows good citizenship in work and community.
- North Miami Class of 1965 Alumni Scholarship - Graduating senior of Miami County graduating from North Miami High School. Have at least a 3.0 GPA; active and involved in school, work and community; display good citizenship.
- Janice Nowling Memorial Scholarship -
Graduating seniors of Peru Senior High School. Show good citizenship, high achievers academically and financial need.
- PHS Class of 1995 Memorial Scholarship -
Graduating seniors of Peru High School Consideration given to those whose parent(s) were graduates of PHS Class of 1995.
- Ashley Rusie Memorial Scholarship - Residents of Miami County and graduating seniors of North Miami High School.
- Randy Steg Memorial Fund - Graduating seniors of a Miami County High School and resident of Miami County pursuing a degree: criminology, criminal science, criminal justice or law enforcement. Special preference given to student with a relative that graduated from Peru High School class of 1984.
- Mary Lee Temple Memorial Scholarship -
Female, graduating seniors of Peru, Maconaquah, or North Miami High Schools and residents of Miami County pursuing a degree in the field of elementary education.
- Lynn Smith Tharp Memorial Nursing Scholarship -Resident of Miami County graduating from North Miami High School pursuing a degree in the field of nursing.